Your Responsibilities

Under the marriage Act 1961 there are certain obligations that you, as a couple intending to get married, must meet prior to a marriage ceremony being solemnised:

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM) must be lodged with your Marriage Celebrant no less than one calandar month and no more than eighteen months prior to the marriage being solemnised.

Under normal circumstances the Notice of Intended Marriage would be completed at your first meeting with your chosen celeberant, or certainly before the marriage can be solemnised and within the above requirements. You can download the NIM from the following link: Notice of Intended Marriage

You are required to produce your original Birth Certificate, or authorised extract of such certificate. Alternatively, you can produce either an Australian Passport or Overseas Passport as identification and evidence of date and place of birth. the passport can be expired but NOT cancelled. ( refer also to Visitors Marrying in Australia).

In the case of persons who have been previously married a copy of the Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate, whichever is applicable, must be produced. Some overseas countries do not have a divorce system, rather they have an annulment process, the Philippines is one such country. There must be produced an order of annulment in regards to any dissolved marriage in such countries. Once again, it is important to remember that ONLY original documents can be accepted.

Prior to your wedding both partners will be required to sign a declaration, under the Marriage Act 1961, stating that you believe there is no legal impediment to the marriage between yourself and your partner. This is a legal document and under Section 11 of the Statutory Declaration Act 1959 it is an offence to make false statmeent and is punishable by imprisonment for a term of four years.

Under the marriage Act 1961 two persons under the age of the eighteen cannot marry. A person of age sixteen or seventeen can marry a person eighteen or over but they must obtain parental consent and approval of a court of law. Persons of sixteen and under cannot marry under any circumstances and two people under the age of eighteen cannot marry each other. Feel free to talk to me about this.

You can learn more about your responsibilities by Contacting Keith Today

Happy Couples

Just a Few of the Many Happy Couples I Have Married

When choosing the services of a Marriage Celebrant it is difficult to know who you are dealing with. I am more than happy to provide you with e-mail addresses for references or telephone contact numbers once my couples have approved it.

“Hi Keith,

Thank you for an amazing ceremony! All my family and friends loved the light heartedness of it…it screamed”Jessica and Anthony


Keith Lammond C.M.C., J.P. Cert IV in Celebrancy Civil Marriage Celebrant Sydney.
“Stop Press” interested in training to be a marriage celebrant – go to the “Celebrant Training Page“

Read More

Marriage Celebrant Training and Courses

I have been a Marriage Celebrant for twenty years and have been a celebrant trainer for the past nine years…

Read More

Contact Us